Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Alpaca Gold

So Yeah, I'm starting off the A to Z Challenge with poop..lol But as an organic gardener it's something we thing about A LOT.

First things first, there are many types fertilizers you can use for your garden and poop is one of the most widely used. Why? It's easy accessible, it is available year round and it's fairly cheap. If you are lucky enough to have a bit of space for curing or a friend with horses, goats, rabbits, sheep, alpacas or poultry you always have a supply handy.

Manure is a great fertilizer not just because of the organic nutrients that are released but also to help a compacted soil become more manageable and for soils that are sandy it helps to retain moisture.

The only draw back to using manure is that most types are too strong to put directly on your garden, and have to be matured over a  period of time. The Nitrogen levels in most types fresh manure, such as horse and cow will burn your plants. It's best to let it cure or mix it with other compost before it is integrated into your soil, generally in the fall or winter months.
Celestine Ridge Alpaca's
(As many Pictures as I have taken of them you would have thought I could find a newer one..lol)


So that brings us to Alpaca manure or Alpaca Gold as we call it. We are lucky enough to have a friend that has a herd of Alpacas locally and we trade vegetables for this wonderful fertilizer. Unlike other manures it can be spread directly in your garden, has a low odor and is high in potassium and nitrogen. Another plus for using Alpaca manure is that it doesn't have the weed seeds that you see in other kinds of manure, so it's not harboring sprouts come spring. This wonderful aspect is due to the fact that they have three stomachs, so not much survives to pass through their system as seed.

It's also versatile, the pellets are round like a goat or rabbits and can be used easily in container plantings and made into a compost "tea" for watering house plants, seedlings and other bedding plants. It doesn't have to be worked into the soil either, it can be spread on the top of your garden and when you water or it rains, the water filters through it and spreads easily into the soil.

For our Compost "Tea' we use a large bucket and fill it about a 1/3 of the way full with manure and then finish filling the bucket with water. Let stand, generally 24 hours is good and then use it for watering. this can be done on large scale if you have it or small scale is that is all you need.

If your lucky enough to have an abundance, it also composts quickly in to a rich brown soil.

We don't seem to have a deer problem in our garden and I have heard that could be due to the fact that we use Alpaca Gold, it seems that deer shy away from the smell. I can't say for sure that is true but many people tell us that it's true.

Check out this Map to find a farm near you! Alpaca Gold a great addition to your garden and you get to meet some great people and friendly animals. If you are in Eastern NC check out Celestine Ridge Alpacas for Fiber as well as an educational experience.

19 comments:

  1. Never thought of adding alpaca gold to my garden. I guess I didn't know it was a good option. Perhaps I will try and find some for the fall. I can't wait to start digging in my garden **wishing for warm weather here*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya about the warmer weather. We've been in the 60's and then saturday night it dropped to the 20's. We had some major scrambling to do. But the fruit trees came out which was the big concern, since they are full of blooms. Hopefully spring will arrive soon for you too!

      Delete
  2. I wonder if llama lumps work the same magic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think it should being in the same family and all. I've heard their poop called Llama beans. I hope it works for you!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! Be sure to check back all kinds of interesting things to come..

      Delete
  4. hi - fellow member of the A-Z challenge - thought I'd check you out.
    Glad I did, very informative post - I'm doing poultry for the moment - there are so many breeds, I should be able to keep going!

    My first one today is A is for Aylesbury Ducks - check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hopped over and saw your posts. I've add you to my list and posted a link on another post I'm working on. I'll have a poultry post this month too!

      Delete
  5. Oh that is so super cool! I have a general compost pile and count on the worms to help out with some black gold :) Happy blogging for the A-to-Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it so cool how that all works. We are constantly running the chickens out of our compost to save our worms...lol. I clicked over to your blog and will be checking back in over the month. I've got a craft blog too but it has fallen in to a bit a disrepair due to spring coming so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I greatly admire anyone who starts their A to Z Challenge talking about poop.
    I don't garden. I want pretty flowers and all, but I want them to magically appear and delight me. This time of year, though, I always SWEAR I'm going to plant bulbs in the fall, so I can have gorgeous spring flowers. Then fall comes, and I really don't want to dig in the hard, Ozark rock and clay we have, and that's the end of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always avoid the junky hard soil by doing a great container garden or force some bulbs inside. My problem is I start out all hung ho and then the humidity turns up to 95% and the bugs come out. That's when I'm ready to hang it up!
      And as far as poop goes it could be a great marketing ploy..lol

      Delete
  8. ALPACA GOLD... one I am sure not to forget! #Blogging from A-Z swinging by to meet and greet. I am 471 and 472 in the long list, with MOVIES & What's in a NAME Hope you swing by to 4covert2overt and Defining Ways. Hope to meet up everywhere @M_C_V_Egan
    http://4covert2overt.blogspot.com/
    http://mariacatalinaegan.com/
    .⋱ ⋮ ⋰.,;***;,.⋱ ⋮ ⋰
    ⋯¤♥¤⋯.(^_^)⋯¤♥¤⋯
    ⋰ ⋮ ⋱..._/l\_...⋰ ⋮ ⋱
    ♫ ƤҼƌҪҼ ƌƝƊ ĻƠṼҼ ॐ βԼƐֆֆїɳɠֆ ƌƝƊ βԼїֆֆ ♫...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad it's something that perhaps will bring you back around for another look!. I have been bouncing around today checking out all kinds of new to me blogs. I love movies and I'll be checking back in with you to see what other great memories your posts will bring up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Manure sure is good for the garden. I want to start up my own garden, but I;m not sure how thrilled I'd be about working with poop. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully Alpaca as well as rabbit poop don't have a "poop" smell. It's small balls which are easy to work with too. Unlike something like Turkey litter that will kill your sinuses and is generally used on large farms. You can buy "Black Kow" in packages which is very composted so it's not bad either. For poop that is.

      Delete
  11. Those alpacas are so cute. I did not know about Alpaca Gold. I'll be on the hunt for it in my region.

    ReplyDelete