Wednesday, February 18, 2015

We'd rather have had Snow

But we got Ice, not a ton but this is Eastern North Carolina. Hurricanes we can handle, with no problem. One little flake of snow and we run flailing to the grocery store for milk and bread.. why? I have no idea but it's what we do.

This is what we ended up with at our house. It doesn't look too bad and it's really not. It was however enough to keep me off the road and lots of others too. It's not snow it's ice. All Ice
I totally get it, if you're up north and wondering why I'm even talking about this, this just doesn't happen here! Chris' is a Yankee and he's used to this kind of mess, I however am a total Southern Belle and I don't appreciate it at all. Ya'll we live in the south for a reason, and it ain't just for the grits.
That's him being very heroic and cleaning the almost an inch of ice off of the car for me. Go ahead and laugh but I'll be the one working in the garden when it's 100 degrees and he's soaking up the AC in the house. My ancestors gardened in petticoats and sipped mint juleps while his swam in the great lakes, while the water was only 50 degrees...and there is the fact that he stayed down here and didn't go back to the great frozen tundra.



 North Carolina is one of those great states that have the all of the different kinds of geography that you'd want. Mountains in the west, awesome beaches and preserved barrier islands in the east. rolling hills in the middle and just enough red dirt to keep it interesting. We totally expect the west to get snow, we do ski on snow as well as water around here, but being in the eastern part we should be sheltered from the cold nasty weather, you know, being on the ocean and all. Why can't we get the make a snow man, soft flaky snow cream stuff...because we are on the coast is what I've always been told. I've been here a bit longer than I would like to admit at times and I can count snow falls that we've had on one hand. Ice is even less. That is until last year. Last year we had more snow and ice in one season that I have seen in my entire life. Weather patterns are changing my friend and I am not ready to cheer for that. Hopefully this record setting cold will move on after this week and Spring will soon follow. As for me and my daffodils we are ready for a warm up.

I can't say that everyone is against the ice at our house. 

This was the scene for the majority of the day. I don't know if they were taking advantage of me being home during the day or if they just couldn't believe that the ground was white and hard and had to keep checking it. One would go out and then one would want in. Here is the Chow on the outside, the Chocolate lab waiting to trade and Yoda supervising. The missing beast decided it wasn't worth her trouble and she retired to the bed to watch the birds out the window. The dogs barked at the cracking ice covered limbs, slid around the yard and aggravated the chickens who braved the weather and ventured out. 

As for me I ventured into work today, this is what the road looked like out our way, the "main" roads were much better and I'm hoping to see much less of it by the time I get home. I get why they call it "black Ice"  now.

 They are calling for more "snow" tonight and single digit lows for the next few days...  I did mention this is the South, right?!



Ya'll stay safe and warm, Spring is bound to show up soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment