Saturday, May 23, 2015

Book Review- Rooted in Design





It's a been a crazy couple of weeks around here but I've been using the rainy days to catch up on some reading. I would like to share with you a review of a great book I received from Blogging for Books.

As you know I spend quite a bit of time outside in the garden but I'm not the greatest when it comes to indoor plants. While I would love to have tons of happy indoor plants to liven up the house it just hasn't happened. Of course I have the obligatory pothos plant hanging in the window and a Christmas Cactus that is valiantly hanging on, there isn't much else positive to be said for the inside garden situation. That's why I jumped on the offer of reviewing Rooted in Design by Tara Heibel & Tassey de Give.

The chapters and the information given range from on the wall options, using plants as room dividers, to options that work well in our dog and cat house stylish hanging options and terrariums. No matter your style, the full color stunning picture will help you find something that will bring your space up to the next level.

Are you like us and like to do things for yourself. There are ideas to use things you already have laying around. Looking to be adventurous check out the Kokedama. It's a "free-form planting method that derives from bonsai" (chptr IV in the air page 95) I've seen these in magazines and loved them. The best part is that they give you detailed directions on how to make your own. Check back soon, once I get a free minute we'll be making some for us.

My daughter was impressed that they even took time to add a chapter on indoor Kitchen gardens and Medicinal herbs. Lots of great information, showing that plants don't have to be just decorative.

Heibel and de Give's ideas run from elaborate design to everyday simple. They show examples of great thrift store finds re-purposed as containers and even how to create macrame hangers, Not only do they cover how to use plants they have a couple of great chapters on how to pick plants for the right area, by checking your lighting situations, they also go into detail on super ideas that help the rest of us busy people, such as watering balls.

Basically this book covers how to make simple moss walls as pictured on the cover, to picking elaborate plants for decorative chandeliers. I suggest is you'd like to add a little outdoors to your indoors this book is a great jumping in point!  I did receive this book from Blogging for Books for this review but If I had run across it in my travels I would have picked it up quickly


No comments:

Post a Comment